May 15, 2011

Artist Focus: Leo Greenfield

I am passionate about all forms of artistic expression, especially fashion, photography and art, so a little while ago I toddled off to yet another gallery exhibition opening night to check out the work of some local artists.

I was introduced to one of the exhibiting artists, Leo Greenfield through a mutual friend, and was blown away by both his talent and the fact that he might just be the nicest person in the universe!





Leo's exhibition, entitled The Veil, included a series of prints made from deconstructed white t-shirts. Leo's also transforms t-shirts into amazing rope fashion pieces.  The image above shows one such piece on the far wall, however they really have to be seen to be believed.   When my order arrives and I wear it everywhere, you are all going to want one!

Leo is best known for his documentation of street style, which he posts on his blog, The Bride Stripped Bare by Her Bachelor, Even.  All illustrations are of real people that Leo draws from memory.  So if you are fashionably wandering the streets of Collingwood, you may just find yourself the subject of a Leo Greenfield original!

Textured .... Cibi, Collingwood, Melbourne

After the exhibition, I arranged to meet Leo in his studio to learn more about his work.  Leo's studio is filled with colour, beautiful drawings, sketch books and all the wonderful smells and textures you'd expect to see in an artist's studio.  A have a few relatives who are artists and I am always inspired by the spaces where artists work.  I could sit there for hours watching them create.  And I did ... sorry Leo!





I take my camera everywhere, so naturally I coaxed Leo into allowing me to take some portrait shots.




Thanks Leo.  If you see me conspicuously posing while sipping tea at one of the many fabulous Collingwood cafe's, you know why!

You can see more of my photography work here.


1 comment:

  1. Wow what a talent - thank you for sharing Meagan! I cannot wait to see this new necklace - just wondering whether the tees are recycled?

    And loving being introduced to a streetstyle artist - I wants to do a collab now - can I loiter with you in Collingwood? :P
    X

    ReplyDelete