May 10, 2011

A Week of Inspiration

The thing I love most about fashion weeks, regardless of where they are in the world, is the opportunity to be amazed and inspired.

For me, runway shows are aspirational.  I never see them as a literal depiction of what I should wear.  Granted, there are usually loads of items that I love and WANT (so desperately that I dream about them for weeks).   What I really appreciate about fashion week is the beauty of the work and the creativity that has gone into producing each garment, regardless of my personal taste.


So when I pull together my favourite looks from a runway show or fashion week, I pull the looks that inspire me the most, not the looks that I want to wear.  I find inspiration in most collections, from fabric, colour, detail or simply the styling of the outfit.  On that note, here are the looks I found most inspiring from last week's Rosemount Australian Fashion Week.






Firstly texture.  I touch everything.  Fabric, objects, people.  So this little collection makes my fingers itch to get amongst it.

Colour always interests and inspires me, whether it be a colour combination, a print or solid colour, I can always find inspiration in colour.  I love clashing colours just as much as I like tonal combinations.  I often draw on the inspirational colour combinations from runway shows when putting outfits together for myself or clients.


As a sewer, I greatly appreciate the detail in garments of this standard.  I love when designers play with proportions and asymmetry and generally mess with my mind!  Is it a fold, is it a pleat, did they cut it like this or like that?  I love a garment that makes me think!


And finally, my personal taste.  These are the items I love and would wear straight off the runway.  I have whittled down my personal favourite looks to just a few ... for now.


What were your personal favourites?

If you want some inspiration in the form of beautiful photographs, check out photographer Daniel Boud's fashion week gallery. Simply breathtaking.

All images from vogue.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment