Jan 15, 2013

43 ways to say 'That's Sexist'


A little break from the usual fashion commentary today to highlight an issue close to my heart.
I consider myself to be a feminist.  I have always, and will always stand up for the rights of all humans to be treated equally.  No apology.
I was introduced to a website recently and this list of ways to say 'that's sexist' I found both amusing and useful, so naturally I wanted to share it.

43 ways to say 'That's Sexist'

Sometimes it can be awkward to call your friends out if they say something that makes you uncomfortable. Often they’re not being malicious, just thoughtless. But remember, your friends will only change their behavior if you speak up! Here are 43 ways of letting someone know he’s being sexist. Only you can know what’s right for your specific relationship and circumstance. 




  1. I don’t like those kinds of jokes.
  2. Dude, that’s pretty sexist.
  3. That actually makes me really uncomfortable.
  4. (later, in private:) Hey, I just wanted to let you know that what you said earlier really upset me.
  5. (later, in an email:) Hey, I didn’t want to get into a whole thing in front of everybody, but I was actually really upset by what you said, and here’s why: [YOUR REASONS HERE]
  6. Come on, you’re better than that.
  7. Wait, hold up, is it the 1950s? It isn’t, right? Seriously though, is it? No but seriously, is it? Is it actually the 1950s right now? I’m like 90 percent sure that it isn’t. It isn’t, right? It isn’t?
  8. Psh! Sexist!
  9. Don’t say that. That’s not funny.
  10. Hey, remember that time just now when you said something really sexist?
  11. You don’t really believe that, do you?
  12. What?! I can’t believe you just said that!!! That is SOOOO SEXIST!!!
  13. Seriously though, don’t say stuff like that around me.
  14. Just so you know, if you keep saying things like that, people are going to think you’re a sexist.
  15. (Frown and shake head disapprovingly.)
  16. That’s really weird that you think that’s an okay thing to say.
  17. Hey, are you LMFAO? Because THAT’S SEXIST AND YOU KNOW IT. (Then, do a little dance.)
  18. Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait. WHAT did you just say?
  19. Oh, I get it, you’re doing the whole “politically incorrect” thing. Cute.
  20. This is not your best look.
  21. Just FYI, your jokey “pretend sexism” sounds a lot like real sexism.
  22. Um, sexist much?
  23. Hey, knock knock. [Who’s there?] Ida. [Ida who?] Ida know why you think it’s okay to make sexist jokes in front of me.
  24. Wow, that’s awkward.
  25. I’m seriously going to stop being your friend if you keep saying things like that.
  26. You know what you just said objectifies women, right?
  27. I don’t get it. Can you explain what you meant by that? No, I don’t understand. Talk me through it step by step. How did you reach those conclusions?
  28. Sharp social satire, friend! Not tired and offensive at all!
  29. Gross.
  30. Wow, that is some OLD SCHOOL sexism!
  31. I’m just kind of over that whole ironic post-sexism sexism thing, you know?
  32. Uh oh, you might be sexist! Quick, say something progressive! Five! Four! Three! Two! One! Oh no, too late, you’re a sexist!
  33. That’s a great impression of something a misogynist would say!
  34. I’m sorry, but I can’t pretend that’s not sexist.
  35. Whoa, weird. A sexist thing just happened.
  36. Boo! Boooooo! Booooooooooo!
  37. Do you hear yourself?
  38. Could you just try to not say stuff like that when I’m around? It really bothers me.
  39. Hey, I just met you. And this is crazy. But you’re a horribly misogynist. So call me never.
  40. I was totally with you until that last part when you got kind of sexist all of a sudden.
  41. Why would you say something like that?
  42. Stop. I can’t even deal with your sexism right now.
  43. Ugh, enough.

This post came from this site: MA'AM - Men Against Assholes & Misogyny http://menagainstassholesandmisogyny.tumblr.com
  

The person who wrote it, Raphael Bob-Waksberg also has a site http://boringoldraphael.tumblr.com/

Another great site: http://www.everydaysexism.com

Twitter: @everydaysexism      It's hard to read sometimes due to the oh so familiar stories.

Feel free to link to other sites or share your opinions in the comments section.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. A topic that I feel strongly about too, but sometimes can't believe what I'm hearing, so I don't say anything. Some great one liners to put the sexist person on notice!

    ReplyDelete